If your website is not found appeared first on search engine, it is necessary for you to take attention. Because, your website won’t get enough traffic and you can’t make the cash you expected. You need to improve your site; your website or content should be better than those competitors in the search engine result pages (SERPs). Visit this page every week and read the latest SEO news compiled from different sources around the world. Get the latest SEO updates from many SEO experts and seasoned gurus to apply on your website.
As you might know, Algorithm changes happen almost every day in Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines. If you want to improve your search engine ranking or to keep your current search positions, you need to read these SEO news and updates regularly.
We will continue collecting latest news and ideas of search engine optimization tips, link building strategies, social media marketing techniques, content marketing, keyword research, creating quality content and lots more to bring you to a successful world of digital marketing.
We select the biggest and most important SEO and internet marketing news happening in the world wide web and publish weekly here in this page. Read this week’s important news that impacts to us and leave a comment, if any, in the Comment Box below.
Bookmark this page on your browser and visit again next time to see more interesting SEO news. We’ll update this page with more news every 7 to 10 days. Come again here and catch weekly hot news to highlight your critical site issues and find the up-to-date solutions we reveal for 2019.
For quick grasp of SEO techniques, we recommend you to read this page – Top 10 SEO Books.
Also check these hot new tools and guides.
SEO News This Week!
Important HTML Tags for SEO
1. Title Tag
It is the most important tag in a webpage. Because, search engines use it to determine the subject of the page and display in search results. Write an attractive title under 70 characters long and include the keyword closer in the beginning. But don’t stuff keyword here.
2. Description Tag
The description tag influences click-through in SERPs. But description shown in SERPs is often keyword dependant. Write it best matched with the page content incorporating the target keyword. It is often about 300 characters long, so try to write appealing description within this length. To make your result snippet rich in Google SERPs, you can use Schema Markup. Do it with Structured Data Markup Helper and preview it with Google’s Testing Tool.
3. Open Graph Tags
OG tags are used to become a rich object in social networks for driving click-throughs and conversions. Use OG tags like OG title, OG type, OG description, OG image etc. Then, check it with Open Graph Object Debugger. For Twitter, you can also use Twitter cards.
4. Robots Tag
This tag is used to prevent search engines from indexing a particular page or the whole site. If you have some pages to keep but don’t want search engines index them, use this tag.
5. Canonical Tag
When your site has some pages with identical content, use this tag to tell search engines which page should be prioritized. It helps to prevent from duplicate content penalty and helps the prioritized page ranking.
6. Header Tags
Header tags are from H1 to H6. They help search engines read your content more efficiently. They indicate a level of importance of texts found in the page. Use only one H1 per page, then use other header tags logically. Try to introduce the keywords and their synonyms in these tags naturally without keyword stuffing.
7. Alt Tag
It optimizes images for search engines. It is an additional opportunity to rank higher. Write image description about 125 characters incorporating your target keywords. But don’t overuse keywords here.
Source: Link Assistant
10 Advanced SEO Techniques
1. Mobile-first indexing
Get ready for it. Use hamburger and accordion menus for mobile devices. Check the structure of your site how a mobile bot sees it.
2. Mobile page speed
Check your mobile page speed at PageSpeed Insights Tool and improve as recommended. Take regular audits and fix issues.
3. CrUX Report
The data in the CrUX Report is publicly available on Google BigQuery platform. If you want to see visitor types, devices, data on DCP, DCL and other metrics, create a project in Google Cloud platform, then access CrUX public project page.
4. Occupy SERP space
Go beyond organic. Try to get a featured snippet in Google results, use schema mark-up and optimize for site links to show.
5. Video content
We watch about 1 billion hours of Youtube videos everyday and Youtube is now the second largest search engine. You know Google SERPs are occupied by lots of videos. So, now it is a must to make short videos, demos, and tutorials. You can also run live broadcasts. Upload to different video platforms like Youtube, Facebook, Vimeo, Instagram etc. Submit a video sitemap to search engines.
6. Google My Business listing
Location is one of the important Google ranking factors. If you have a local business, you should claim your Google My Business listing. All you need to do is to publish on Google Posts, add your business questions and replies to Google Q&A, upload images and videos, fill in all the categories available for your listing, encourage happy customers write reviews, etc.
7. Brand Reputation
Brand reputation influences ranking. Mention your brand whenever possible, find people ready to talk about you and check how your competitors grow their brand awareness.
8. Google Search Console
This tool was recently updated. So, check the new features. Use URL Inspection Tool, Index Coverage report, performance report etc.
9. Presence in Amazon
If your business is based on B2C, missing Amazon is a mistake. Increase your sales velocity on Amazon.
10. Link building
It is a fundamental pillar of SEO. Go white-hat. Coin new terms and burst into search results, search your own visual content and find those without a link back to ask them to link to you, and if you had a speech in an event, try to get many links from it and share on social media to get likes and extra shares from people.
5 Reasons Why SEO is So Important in 2019
1. SEO brings your customers
Today many people use Google to find anything they are looking for. So, your customers comes from Google. They come to your website if your site ranks in the first page of Google. Join the SEO race now and grow your business ahead of others in 2019.
2. SEO is more cost effective than PPC
Both SEO and PPC cost your money. But SEO gives you a long term value while Pay-per-Click (PPC) marketing gives you only an immediate result. Note that more people ignore ads than organic results of Google. However, PPC can be a nice addition to SEO especially for short term promotion and sales. Investing your time in SEO and in some SEO tools will definitely drive more customers in the long run.
3. SEO builds your brand
If your brand is not known to searchers, they never type it in Google. Here, SEO helps boost your site’s credibility in the eyes of potential customers. SEO is very important in 2019 to raise your brand awareness. Doing SEO continually helps find your website for a variety of search terms.
4. SEO influences your business
Search engine optimization is not just for rankings. It influences your brand and business reputation. It also influences purchasing decisions a lot. As traffic increase, more people share your products and business on social networks. SEO also saves a lot of time on unnecessary activities like sending emails and cold calling to answering same old questions.
5. SEO improves your website
Business owners who are not involved in SEO don’t know Google guidelines and about running website audits. But with SEO, you can take a close look at your website, technical aspects and user experience. By taking care of these things, you can improve your site and increase traffic, conversions and sales.
12 SEO Practices You shouldn’t Do Anymore
Trying to target keywords irrelevant to your niche (although they are high traffic volume) is a wrong SEO practice as they mislead visitors. Keyword density and unnatural keyword stuffing are also no more right SEO tactics as they manipulate search results.
2. Content Writing
Writing repeated keywords, their variations and unfavourable experiences to searchers are the examples of bad content. Don’t write for robots, write for human.
3. Article Marketing and Directory Submissions
Google Panda targets content farms, directories and other websites offering bad and stolen content. Your content needs to be original, authoritative and trustworthy.
4. Article Spinning
As Artificial Intelligence is getting better, content generated by machine is an example of poor quality content if you can’t be it original, helpful and substantially different.
5. Building Backlinks
Google can identify low quality sites and it knows when they get lots of backlinks unnaturally. Google wants earning links, not buying them.
6. Anchor Texts
If they try to optimize for search engines, not for humans, you may get penalized.
7. Keyword Research
Trying to get your keyword data using a free tool without considering your industry, competition, geographic region, etc., is a wrong practice. Instead, try to use Moz Keyword Explorer and SEMRush Keyword Magic, or Google Trends, a free alternative.
8. Creating Pages of all Keyword Variations
As they look like to increase visibility rather than users in a website, it is an outdated SEO strategy.
9. Targeting Exact Match Queries
As it can be a tactics to increase ranking and traffic, actually not for answering, it is an old tactics.
10. Exact Match Domains
Google always tries to demote exact match domains if they are not fit as they should be relevant to your brand, products, services etc.
11. XML Sitemap
Follow to adhere to XML Sitemap best practices. Trying to manipulate search engine crawlers to crawl more unnecessarily is a bad practice.
12. Bad Content
Going with stolen content, thin content, keyword stuffed content, non-credible content etc. is an outdated SEO practice.
Source: Search Engine Journal
5 common site structure mistakes
Site structure or content structure in a site is very important in consideration of ease of visitors’ nativagation and Google indexing. The site structure have to make easy for browsing and finding content in the site for visitors and search engines. Most webmasters don’t think of it seriously. It is a mistake. Look at the following site structure mistakes you might be ignored:
1. Cornerstone Articles: They are the very important articles you should not hide. They should clearly reflect the mission of your website. Your cornerstone articles should be kept in one or two clicks from the homepage. Make sure they’re visible and easily find for people. Link to those cornerstone articles and mention them in your other blog posts!
2. Breadcrumbs: They show how the current page fits into the structure of your site. They allow your visitors to easily navigate your site. Breadcrumbs also allow Google to determine the structure of your site easily. Just add the breadcrumbs in your site.
3. Categories: All categories in your site should be relatively similar in size. If one category is larger than other ones, it becomes unbalanced in the site. You’ll see the blog posts in a very large category are hard to rank. So, consider to split it in two (or three). Check the size of your categories frequently, especially if you upload lots of blog posts.
4. Tags: If yours is a WordPress site, don’t create too many tags. Don’t think of creating a unique tag for each post. Make sure that each tag is used more than once or twice, and the tags group articles together that really belong together. Make sure that visitors can find the tags somewhere, preferably at the bottom of your page so that visitors read more about the same topic.
5. Main Categories: They should all have a place in the menu on your homepage. But don’t create too many categories in the menu. The menu should give a clear overview and reflect the structure of your site. To create a good and clear overview of your site is important for things your visitors are looking for and how you could help them to navigate through your website.
10 SEO mistakes that cost lots of traffic
1. No tracking and measuring metrics: SEO is for traffic and conversion. Without tracking and measuring metrics, you could be led to unexpected results. Use tools like Google Analytics and Google Search Console.
2. Unreasonable expectation: Don’t expect results too quickly. It takes time to get results. Set up a proper SEO strategy, create a smart goal and invest your effort.
3. Inferior Content: No quality, no ranking. In a study, Backlinko found that average word count of the blog posts of a Google first page was 1890 words. Write better content with relevant images and links out to authority sites in the content.
4. Inferior Backlinks: Avoid link quantity over link quality. Quality links are inevitable. They should be at least DA40+ and PA40+ links.
5. Improper anchor texts: Generic anchor texts like ‘Click Here’ have no use in the SEO perspective. Instead, use call-to-action anchor texts. But be careful for repeated uses of any of them.
6. Search bots without direction: You need to provide a direction to search engine bots to index your site properly. Your site should have a XML sitemap and a robots.txt file.
7. Ignoring content marketing: SEO and content marketing should go together. To improve your SEO results, you need to continually create and distribute valuable, relevant and consistent content for the audience in your niche.
8. Lack of updating activities: Google prefers newer content over older ones. If your site is not updated with new information for months, your current ranking will be at risk.
9. Still with HTTP: Google prefers to rank those sites with HTTPs. Switch your HTTP site to HTTPs version for free or paid.
10. Not using SEO tools: In this competitive world, you can’t succeed without SEO tools. You need to use right SEO tools to win your competitors. At Smallseotools, there is a lot of tools in one place.
Source: Small SEO Tools
4 link building tools worth to use
You can try the four link building tools. They are worth to use for your link building campaigns. Two of the four are free tools:
This tool can monitor 20 domains and 100 keywords. It can track your rankings and monitor your backlinks in addition to other features included. If you are looking for a new link building tool, Nightwatch is great to try. It is a paid tool.
This is also a paid tool that checks for mail exchange records and redirects. The tool monitors anything that negatively impacts your rankings. It has lots of features you may be interested.
This free tool can find broken links and duplicate content. Skipped pages in the report should be considered to check carefully if they might have blocked Google and Bing bots. If you are looking for a target site for link building, you should not put your links in such skipped pages.
This is also a free tool that checks the date of a URL first indexed. It is great for getting idea if it will be good or bad to decide for link building. This tool can also check for broken links.
Source: Search Engine Land
How to Optimize WordPress Site Speed
Site speed is important as it is a Google ranking factor, you might know. You should test your site speed and optimize it to be the fastest as possible as you can. You can use Pingdom to test your WordPress site speed. You can also use Google Lighthouse for it. After doing the test, look for where to optimize to improve your site speed. Images are usually things you should check first. Squeeze them to be very small in size. Their sizes must be in KBs, not MBs. WordPress comes with a handy default feature, where every image you upload is stored in several dimensions. You can also check a number of image optimization plugins (paid and free) like Kraken.io, Smush or Imagify. Another issue that comes across a lot in page speed tests is browser cache optimization. For it, you can install cache plugins like WP Super Cache or WP Fastest Cache. You can also use a paid plugin WP Rocket. If you use Yoast SEO plugin, you can configured to your needs. Other way to improve your site speed is using a Content Delivery Network (CDN). A CDN service can make your WordPress site super fast.
Do your Google keyword rankings suck? Follow these steps
It is about how to increase your keyword rankings in Google. Follow the steps. You will see the improvements:
1. Your Target Keyword(s)
If your site is a new one, you should not target competitive keywords. You must choose the right keywords your site can rank with your existing resources. You can check the monthly search volume using Google Keyword Planner or any of the best keyword research tools. Then, analyse your competition.
2. Audit Your Site
Poor technical and UX performance can damage your site’s performance. Do a SEO audit to check if there is any ranking error and clean all technical and UX issues.
3. Analyze Your Target Page
It is time to analyze your target page. Put your effort as much as to become a superior one than your competitors. Check if the page brings anything new and it is more valuable than those competitors.
4. Leverage Existing Authority
After publishing the page to your website, look for authoritative pages with most backlinks in your site and put internal links to the page from those pages. You can use tools like Ahrefs for this.
5. Build backlinks
To increase visibility of the page in Google, you need to build backlinks. You can do guest posting, Link lists/resource pages, Expert roundups, HARO submissions, blogroll placements etc. Make sure you use different anchor texts.
12 Google search operators to outplay your competition
You should enter the following operators in Google to find the results you are looking for:
1. See where competitors are featured
“competitor name” – competitor domain – (other domains you don’t want to include in the results)
Example: “julia mccoy” – expresswriters.com
This will display the sites the competitors have been featured other than the sites excluded with “-“.
2. Look for better writers to outsmart competitors
Example: site:health.havard.edu red wine
This will display the writers on red wine from the site.
3. Find your content gaps compared to competitors
site:competitor domain intitle: your topic
Example: site: buzzmo.com – intitle: content marketing
This will display content topics other than content marketing from Buzzmo.
4. Find competitor’s best content
site:competitor domain intitle: “keyword”
Example: site:contentmarketinginstitute.com intitle:”infographics”
This will display content relevant to the keyword from Content Marketing Institute.
5. Find specific file types your competitors publish
site:competitor domain filetype: pdf
Example: kissmetircs.com filetyple: pdf
This will display all content published in pdf from KissMetrics.
6. Find competitors who have written simultaneously on two topics
keyword + keyword
Example: seo + content marketing
This will display competitors writing on both SEO and content marketing.
7. Check listicle posts of competitors
top 1..100 keyword
Example: top 1..100 dinner recipes
This will display listicle posts of competitors on dinner recipes.
8. Use wildcard to find missing words
some words *
Example: furniture arrangement ideas *
This will display other words along with furniture arrangement ideas.
9. Find other sites related to your competitor
related: competitor domain
Example: related: semrush.com
This will display other sites related to your competitor Semrush.
10. What a competitor said about you
site: competitor domain intext: your brand
Example: site:ahrefts.com intext: spyfu
This will display any mention of Spyfu in Ahrefs.
11. Find long tail keywords
keyword AROUND(X) keyword
Example: design AROUND(3) photoshop
This will display long tail keywords having 3 or less terms between design and Photoshop.
12. Find removed pages of competitors
cache: removed url
This will display the removed page of your competitor which may be important to you.
Source: Marketo blog
How to write great content for a website
Having great content is a must for online success. Thin or recycled posts may take you nowhere. Here are some tips to write great content for your site:
1. Understand Your Target Audience: Know the value they are looking for in the form of a product, service or knowledge. Try to target your audience, their goals, and solve their pain. A great way to do this is to browse Q&A websites like Quora and Yahoo Answers. Also use Google Trends to extract content ideas that will definitely grab their attention.
2. Perform Keyword Research: It is necessary if you want to learn how to write website content for SEO. It allows you to look for content opportunities that are in demand but aren’t too competitive as well as to get keyword ideas that are more specific and target a narrower audience. Here is Long Tail Pro for you.
Once you find the target keywords, use in Title Tag, Headers (H2, H3, etc.), Main Content, Meta Description, Image File Names and Alt Tags and URL Slug.
3. Use an Authentic Writing Voice: Inserting keywords is the trickiest part. Remember, you’re trying to communicate with real people here. Keep things simple, use fewer words and write with your own voice to make sure everything flows smoothly.
4. Hire an Editor: You can probably write grammatically sound sentences in English. But, readers from English-speaking countries will definitely notice that you’re not a native speaker. If so, you can hire an editor from Upwork and Freelancer.
5. Use Tools: For proof reading purposes, you can use Grammarly, SCRIBENS, GrammarCheck.net, Ginger Software, etc.
6. Don’t Fluff: Avoid fluff writing for good. A little bit of storytelling is good to maximize the engagement of your audience. Don’t do it if it adds no value to your content.
[Check Best Content Writing Books]
Source: Long Tail Pro
10 ignored SEO tasks to Boost Rankings
Here are 10 overlooked SEO tricks that help boost Google rankings in 2018:
1. Rich cards: They are a form of structured data providing visually appealing information to users. Rich cards can increase CTR. Read more about creating structured data.
2. Negative backlinks: Spammy websites linking to your site impact your ranking. You can view those backlinks in Google Search Console. If you find such low quality backlinks, disavow them.
3. Skyscraper content: Find high performing content in your niche. Then create content something better. You can find your competitors’ most popular content using SEMrush or Buzzumo. After finding those content of your competitors, create a better content for your site. Add more details to it, promote it and share it using your off-site SEO skills.
4. Landing pages: Optimize your landing pages for the right persons you are looking for. Before creating your pages, ask yourself – who is this page for, where are they coming from, what do they need at this page, what is my goal, and how can I be more relevant.
5. Infographics: People love infographics, so create epic infographics. Brainstorm your ideas to create a greater infographic. You can create it yourself or hire a freelancer. Promote the infographics to get noticed.
6. Videos: Cisco predicts online videos will make up 80% of all online traffic by 2021. So, you should include videos in your content marketing strategies. You don’t need to be an expert. A simple camera and an editing software can do the job on your own.
7. Your own keywords: Marketers are searching for good keywords to target. But sometimes you can create your own keywords and become a top authority of the niche. Optimize your web presence for the keywords.
8. Internal linking: Check which pages in your website are performing well in search engine results. To improve the performance of your other weak pages, you can link the quality pages from your high performing pages.
9. Entity silence: According to Moz, an entity is anything in the document that is district and well-defined to your topic. And entity silence is the terms or phrases similar to co-occurrence but instead of repeating keywords or even variations of those keywords. Google’s related search terms below the results are the great examples of it. They are the identifying phrases of your topic, so you can include them in your page.
10. Voice searches: It’s high time to optimize for voice searches as many and many people are doing so increasingly. Make your content easier to read, use Alt tags and descriptions for images, use structured data, and use long tail keywords in conversational tone.
Meta descriptions going to be shorter again
Google showed snippets with long meta descriptions (around 320 characters). Now, it is back to between 150-170 characters. Google’s Danny Sullivan confirmed the change. It is advisable that you need to shorten the meta descriptions of your important pages. Google will not show the long description anymore. Rewrite your descriptions to fit Google’s new rules.
Google asks dissatisfied searchers to submit questions
Google is testing a new feature in the search results to submit a detailed question to searchers if they don’t satisfy the results. In a box, it says “Get the answer you are looking for added to the web”. `Then, Google may pass the question to content creators who can answer it. Google is looking for more content to return the searchers’ questions. Is it an opportunity to rank in Google if you create content to answer the searcher’s question? May be or not! Because Google uses its normal ranking algorithm.
Source: Search Engine Land
7 link building techniques that still work in 2019
Links and rankings are inseparable. Almost all SEOs consider backlinks are a significant ranking factor. The following techniques of link building still work for 2018:
1. Link Bait: A link bait is the content that attracts your target audience to share it online seriously. Look at your content if it deserves a link or not. Some content ideas that people tend to link are Unique Insights like interviews, helpful articles and surveys, videos embedded in the content, hot current topics, free tools etc.
2. Guest Blogging: In guest blogging, you post articles or content in other people’s websites. By doing so, you get new backlinks and audience for your site. Create a high quality content, then find guest blogging opportunities. For this purpose, you can use Link Assistant or other good tools.
3. Ego Bait: Ego bait focusses on creating content that aims to appeal to your target’s ego and getting a link back. This technique is a WIN-WIN strategy for both sides. Some good techniques are: A Mention by quoting influencers, linking them or placing their photo in your post. After doing it, you should inform them; Interviews with authorities by finding their contact info, preparing interview questions, getting permission, sending questions to them and finally publishing it in your site; and a round up list you can create with an influencer.
4. Blog Commenting: It is a great technique when done right. Where to place your comments? Use great tools like Link Assistant. Your work will done easily.
5. Guestographics: In this technique, you create a great infographics and publish on your site. Find opportunities and offer it to them for a backlink.
6. Forum Backlinks: Join a forum in your niche and answer a relevant question as a valued participant. In your answer, include a link to your page where necessary.
7. Business Directory Submission: Find niche specific and high quality directories. Remember that low quality directories may harm your site. So, Submit your site only to niche specific and high quality directories.
Recommended reads: Best Link Building Books
Source: Link Assistant
8 SEO Practices for Competition Analysis
Why do your competitors rank higher in Google results? You need a thorough analysis to find out your weakness as below:
1. Know your top competitors: Search your top niche keywords in Google and write down some 10-15 domains. You can also check the niche lists on Top Alexa Sites by categories.
2. Evaluate ranking difficulty: Check the following information for your own site and the competitive sites – Domain age, Alexa rank and traffic volume, IP address and country, the number of indexed pages in major search engines and the number of backlinks. You can use SEO Powersuite’s Rank Tracker or any other tools to check the week points of the domains.
3. Get the precise keyword ideas: Get some LSI phrases for your seed keyword. You can use a good tool to get a list of semantically tied phrases for building a strong content strategy.
4. Analyse the SERP result types: Analyse the SERP results with a target keyword. Check if the results are filled with static posts, or ads, or videos, or news, or images. You can also check the meta data, structured data, links etc of a competitor’s page.
5. Check the competitors’ site structure: Try to check how competitors organized the pages of their websites. Find out important landing pages, click-depth, orphan pages and internal PageRank distribution.
6. Check On-page optimization and create content: When creating your content, consider these things – target keywords, target search engines, semantically related phrases to use, quality long content, duplicate content to avoid, regular content update, some outbound links to authority sites and internal linking etc.
7. Check backlinks: Check how your competitors created the backlinks. Compare the backlink profiles of your site and competitors. You’ll have a clear understanding for your link strategy. Find the link opportunities from many of your competitors and your own strategy.
8. Anything else to know: Check how your competitors are doing on social media platforms and anything else. Try to outperform them. At last, you need to improve your competition analysis model from time to time.
For SEO news published in the page in the past weeks, download and read this eBook!
Recommended Reads: Best Internet Marketing Books
Test your skills and win prizes: Participate Marketing and SEO Quiz
Do you have something to say after reading this page? We welcome your valuable comments below.