If your website is not found appeared first on search engine, it is necessary for you to take attention. Because, your website won’t get enough traffic and you can’t make the cash you expected. You need to improve your site; your website or content should be better than those competitors in the search engine result pages (SERPs). Visit this page every week and read the latest SEO news compiled from different sources around the world. Get the latest SEO updates from many SEO experts and seasoned gurus to apply on your website.
As you might know, Algorithm changes happen almost every day in Google, Bing, Yahoo and other search engines. If you want to improve your search engine ranking or to keep your current search positions, you need to read these SEO news and updates regularly.
We will continue collecting latest news and ideas of search engine optimization tips, link building strategies, social media marketing techniques, content marketing, keyword research, creating quality content and lots more to bring you to a successful world of digital marketing.
We select the biggest and most important SEO and internet marketing news happening in the world wide web and publish weekly here in this page. Read this week’s important news that impacts to us and leave a comment, if any, in the Comment Box below.
Bookmark this page on your browser and visit again next time to see more interesting SEO news. We’ll update this page with more news every 7 to 10 days. Come again here and catch hot news to highlight your critical site issues and find the up-to-date solutions we reveal.
For quick grasp of SEO techniques, we recommend you to read this page – Top 10 SEO Books.
SEO News This Week!
Google asks dissatisfied searchers to submit questions
Google is testing a new feature in the search results to submit a detailed question to searchers if they don’t satisfy the results. In a box, it says “Get the answer you are looking for added to the web”. `Then, Google may pass the question to content creators who can answer it. Google is looking for more content to return the searchers’ questions. Is it an opportunity to rank in Google if you create content to answer the searcher’s question? May be or not! Because Google uses its normal ranking algorithm.
Source: Search Engine Land
7 link building techniques that still work in 2018
Links and rankings are inseparable. Almost all SEOs consider backlinks are a significant ranking factor. The following techniques of link building still work for 2018:
1. Link Bait: A link bait is the content that attracts your target audience to share it online seriously. Look at your content if it deserves a link or not. Some content ideas that people tend to link are Unique Insights like interviews, helpful articles and surveys, videos embedded in the content, hot current topics, free tools etc.
2. Guest Blogging: In guest blogging, you post articles or content in other people’s websites. By doing so, you get new backlinks and audience for your site. Create a high quality content, then find guest blogging opportunities. For this purpose, you can use Link Assistant or other good tools.
3. Ego Bait: Ego bait focusses on creating content that aims to appeal to your target’s ego and getting a link back. This technique is a WIN-WIN strategy for both sides. Some good techniques are: A Mention by quoting influencers, linking them or placing their photo in your post. After doing it, you should inform them; Interviews with authorities by finding their contact info, preparing interview questions, getting permission, sending questions to them and finally publishing it in your site; and a round up list you can create with an influencer.
4. Blog Commenting: It is a great technique when done right. Where to place your comments? Use great tools like Link Assistant. Your work will done easily.
5. Guestographics: In this technique, you create a great infographics and publish on your site. Find opportunities and offer it to them for a backlink.
6. Forum Backlinks: Join a forum in your niche and answer a relevant question as a valued participant. In your answer, include a link to your page where necessary.
7. Business Directory Submission: Find niche specific and high quality directories. Remember that low quality directories may harm your site. So, Submit your site only to niche specific and high quality directories.
Recommended reads: Best Link Building Books
Source: Link Assistant
8 SEO Practices for Competition Analysis
Why do your competitors rank higher in Google results? You need a thorough analysis to find out your weakness as below:
1. Know your top competitors: Search your top niche keywords in Google and write down some 10-15 domains. You can also check the niche lists on Top Alexa Sites by categories.
2. Evaluate ranking difficulty: Check the following information for your own site and the competitive sites – Domain age, Alexa rank and traffic volume, IP address and country, the number of indexed pages in major search engines and the number of backlinks. You can use SEO Powersuite’s Rank Tracker or any other tools to check the week points of the domains.
3. Get the precise keyword ideas: Get some LSI phrases for your seed keyword. You can use a good tool to get a list of semantically tied phrases for building a strong content strategy.
4. Analyse the SERP result types: Analyse the SERP results with a target keyword. Check if the results are filled with static posts, or ads, or videos, or news, or images. You can also check the meta data, structured data, links etc of a competitor’s page.
5. Check the competitors’ site structure: Try to check how competitors organized the pages of their websites. Find out important landing pages, click-depth, orphan pages and internal PageRank distribution.
6. Check On-page optimization and create content: When creating your content, consider these things – target keywords, target search engines, semantically related phrases to use, quality long content, duplicate content to avoid, regular content update, some outbound links to authority sites and internal linking etc.
7. Check backlinks: Check how your competitors created the backlinks. Compare the backlink profiles of your site and competitors. You’ll have a clear understanding for your link strategy. Find the link opportunities from many of your competitors and your own strategy.
8. Anything else to know: Check how your competitors are doing on social media platforms and anything else. Try to outperform them. At last, you need to improve your competition analysis model from time to time.
Don’t Put Non-Head Tags in <Head> Tag
Inserting other HTML tags in the <Head></Head> section of a webpage is a SEO issue as per Google’s John Mueller. You can put many tags such as Description tag, robots, Google’s Specific tags and Title tag in the head tag. If non-head HTML tags that might cause issues are necessary to insert, put it at the very end of <Head> right before </Head> to reduce the Google bot reading issues. You can use the Rich Results testing tool to check any rendering issue.
Source: SEM Post
5 Inforgraphic Techniques to Earn Natural Backlinks
Many marketers use infographics to build natural backlinks for their sites. They know infographics can bring more traffic, more following on social media and making rich of content of their websites. Read the 5 infographic techniques:
1. Create informative infographics with eye catching design. For such an infographic, you’ll get backlinks from authoritative websites. So, your website jumps up ranking in Google SERPs and traffic.
2. When creating an infographic, keep in mind to target your relevant audience including your prospects and other bloggers.
3. Promote your infographics through all channels. Give your audience a chance to share displaying all social media sharing buttons. You can also encourage them to share the same.
4. Submit your infographics to directories. By doing so, you’ll get lots of fresh backlinks. Submit your infographics to highly authoritative directories such as Visual.ly.
5. Add value with guestographics. This techniques is used to get backlinks from other websites by publishing it with a link back. First, publish your infographic in your website. Write a personalized introduction about it to people who are writing in your niche. Offer them to add your infographic in their websites with a link back.
How to Write an Awesome Meta Description Using Yoast SEO?
People click on Google results that interest to them. So, you need to write attractive meta description for your pages. A meta description is a description manually added by you in your posts or pages to tell visitors about your posts or pages. It is a summary of your page containing up to 320 characters. Search engines usually use your meta description if it contains the search phrase. Use Yoast SEO plugin for WordPress. Edit the meta description under the post/page until it shows green. Don’t miss this feature when you publish your content in your blog or website and make it awesome to beg more clicks from search engines.
Are You Still Using Google Keyword Planner?
Since long, many have been using Google Keyword Planner as one of the best free keyword research tools. If you are one of them, you are probably out of date. Consider these things; Google have been changed many things in their Keyword Planner. According to them, you need to login for using the tool. Then, you need to create an AdWords account even though you don’t need to spend. Then, Google shows search ranges rather than specific numbers unless you are an active advertiser. So, if you are the serious one who needs to do keyword research very often, you have to forget the free tools like Google Keyword Planner. Try some advanced paid tools. When you get satisfied with one of them, you no longer want to use those free ones again. You can try these tools like Keyword Finder, Moz, Ahrefs, SEMRush, Long Tail Pro etc.
Source: SEO Copy Writing
How to Use SEO Strategies for Voice Searches
Voice search is one of the fastest growing digital technologies in the coming years. So, you need to prepare SEO strategies for voice searches. Besides anything else, consider these Google ranking factors like site authority, number and quality of backlinks, social media engagement, secure site, site speed, Google My Business/online directories. And follow these SEO tips to rank in voice searches:
1. Use long tail keywords as people are using voice searches.
2. Include the words in the keywords like “how”, “why”, and “where”.
3. Use trigger words.
4. Write pages with individual specific topics.
5. Think of questions people ask about your products or services and write content to answer them.
6. Write pages with 1,500-2,000+ words.
Use these free tools to find questions asked by people: Answer the Public, Question Samurai, Storybase, Google Trends, Google Suggest, io, org, com/bog-topic-generator.
– Source: Geo Marketing
Links Placed in Source Code
If you use WordPress, you might have invisible links something like “This website is powered by…”. Do such links cause SEO issues? According to Google’s Mueller, you need to check such links in your WordPress Themes and plugins as there is always possibility Google might crack down on these links in the future. Such links should be nofollowed.
– Source: SEM Post
How to Do Mobile SEO in 2018
Are you ready for Google’s mobile first indexing due in mid 2018? You will need 4 step strategies to rank higher in 2018 – Mobile Audit, UX, Content and Location:
Mobile Audit: If you have a mobile site, add and verify it in Google Search Console. Test it for mobile friendliness, in-depth mobile audit, keep all your resources crawlable and avoid flash.
UX: Make your mobile site user friendly. Check for responsive design, loadtime, etc.
Content: Create content that converts. You need in-depth keyword research, search snippet optimization, use of structured data, etc.
Location: Google prefers to provide personalized results on user interest. So, you need to claim your Google My Business listing, gain positive reviews, provide NAP consistency, add photos, use Schema Markup, optimize AdWords campains for the “Near Me” searches.
– Source: Link Assistant
Google now wants larger images for AMP articles
Google has updated its article schema document for AMP articles. Previously, the minimum requirement was 696 pixels wide and 300,000 pixels in total. Now, it needs 1,200 pixels wide and 800,000 pixels in total. If you are getting Google search traffic from the AMP based stories carousel, make sure your images meet the criteria.
– Source: Search Engine Land
Google’s John Mueller Answers Common SEO Questions
Below are some answers given by John Mueller to common SEO questions:
1. Is crawl-delay rule ignored by Googlebot?
The crawl-delay directive can be added in a site’s robots.txt file. John Mueller says that Google ignores the crawl-delay directive. Instead, Google decides how many pages it visits based on the server reaction. For slow server or errors, Google will check fewer pages.
2. My site’s template has multiple H1 tags. Is this a problem?
It is good if a webpage has a clear focus and clear topic. John Mueller says it’s not a problem to have more than one H1 tag on a webpage.
3. Subdomain or subfolder, which is better for SEO?
Which is better for a site’s blog – blog.example.com or example.com/blog? John Mueller says both versions are fine.
4. Do fixed penalties affect SEO?
Google calls penalties “Manual Actions” as they are applied manually. If you face a manual action to your website, you should remove the spam elements and file a reconsideration request. Then, the website will get its natural position.
– Source: Link Profiler
How to Build .edu Backlinks for Free?
If you are serious to build high power backlinks, I am sure you would like to build links from .edu domains as they earn authority. Here are some steps to build backlinks from .edu domains:
1. Identify relevant .edu sites
Type ‘site:.edu’ in Google search to get a list of .edu sites. To filter your search further, you can include a place name i.e site:.edu ohio, texas.
2. Offer new content to educate the community/students.
Offer community specific scholarship. To target scholarship listing pages, type something like:
site:.edu “scholarship program”
site:.edu “scholarship lists”
site:.edu “list of scholarship +ohio, texas”
site:.edu “university scholarship”
From the results, find relevant ones to approach them with your scholarship idea. Find sites allowing blog commenting as below:
site:.edu inurl: blog “comment”
site:.edu inurl: blog
site:.edu inurl: blog “responses”
site:.edu inurl: blog “login/create account” etc.
3. Don’t Miss Your Opportunities
Identify the area of your expertise, such as information technology. Type something like “information technology” inurl:.edu –.pdf. Find the most relevant site and use “Link Checker- W3C Validator free tool to analyse the number of broken links. Put your links to your valued pages.
– Source: Search Engine People
15 SEO Fixes for Better Rankings
1. Your Sitemap: Add a sitemap if your website doesn’t have one. Submit it to Google Search Console or specify its location in your robots.txt file. Keep it up-to-date.
2. Your robots.txt: It is a very important file in your site as it controls search engines which URLs to index or not. Make it free from any unwanted errors.
3. Audit Your Site: Use a good tool to audit your site to fix any errors you see.
4. Re-crawl Your Pages: If you add a new page or update an existing page, make it re-crawl it through Google Search Console.
5. Improve Your Site Speed: Page speed is a Google ranking signal. Use a tool to test the page speed and fix those slow and heavily loading pages.
6. Make Your Site Mobile-Friendly: Mobile friendliness is what you should focus on as mobile users are increasing. Mobile friendly sites rank better in mobile search results.
7. Visualize the Site Structure: A good site structure and internal linking will boost your SERP rankings. Check for orphan pages, isolated pages, redirects, broken links and other problems.
8. Check for Duplicate Content: Duplicate content may result in penalty from Google. If you find duplicate page titles and descriptions, rewrite them. If you find duplicate content in the pages, use a 301 redirect or rel=canonical.
9. Optimize Titles and Descriptions for Clicks: Optimizing Google search snippets for your pages is utmost important to increase click-through rate. A highly relevant and attractive Google result will drive more clicks.
10. Make Your Content Unique: Look at the content your competitors got success and create a unique content for your site.
11. Improve Semantic Relevance: You don’t need to use the keyword in your page over and over again. “You have to build a cloud of associations related to your main topic and deliberately use the words and concepts from this cloud all over your content”.
12. Know Your Rankings: You should know the rankings of your important keywords. Find your competitors and improve your pages to raise your rankings.
13. Find any Bad Backlinks: Bad backlinks hurt your rankings. You need to remove them by disavowing.
14. Check your Link Status: As time goes, your link partners might change your link status as broken link, no-follow link, or wrong anchor texts. Try contacting them if you find such link status.
15. Request for a Backlink: Use a web monitoring tool Awario for trials and create an alert for your brand and keywords. You will see populating mentions for your brand and keywords. Find those that do not have a link back to your site and request them for backlinks.
Source: Link Assistant
6 Old SEO Tactics that Hurt Your Google Rankings
Old SEO tactics are no longer working. They will waste your valuable time as well as SERP rankings. Know the six old SEO techniques and what you can do instead of them:
Keyword Stuffing is a practice of unnaturally repeated uses of a target keyword or phrase to fool search engines for ranking high in SERPs. What you can do instead? Instead of using the keyword repeatedly, use LSI terms and phrases in your content to make Google more clear about your topic context.
Including all possible versions of a keyword in the title is wrong. Instead, write attractive, informational and clickable title. It should be short, relevant and call-to-action.
Avoid heavily using anchor text on internal links. Although internal links between your pages are good for SEO and users, don’t do it too much with keyword anchor texts. It looks spammy and manipulative to Google. Try to keep all your pages 3 clicks away from the homepage.
Don’t create pages for each keyword variation. Although doing so was a good SEO method in the past, note that Google wants to rank one with rich, useful page targeting them all. Include the different keyword variations in the content in a natural way.
Avoid low quality link building tactics like forum signature hacking, spam blog commenting, spammy footer links and tags, private blog networks (PBNs), spammy link exchanges, link directories, paid links, article directories, low quality/irrelevant guest posting, etc. Remove all low quality backlinks to your site.
Avoid low quality content written for manipulating search engines. Create rich, engaging content for your audience.
For SEO news published in the page in the past weeks, download and read this eBook!
Recommended Reads: Best Internet Marketing Books
Do you have something to say after reading this page? We welcome your valuable comments below.